5/22/08

My 8-year wait finally comes to an end!!!!




What drama, what excitement, what a game of football. Yes, I am talking about the night in Moscow.

The Hollywood script writers were given a run for their money, as the epic battle between the two English giants scripted an incredible finish. And, to my utter delight. No, to my utter relief, my Manchester United prevailed.

It is the biggest United game in my life after I fell in love with United, almost 8 years ago, just after united did the famous treble. Additional time (famously called MUtime) goals gifted United the most prestigious trophy in World Club football. However, then, united was a stranger to me.

Since then, the trophy has been a bunch of sour grapes, as United failed to reach the summit. I tell you, to win this, it takes a lot: quality, substance, luck etc. With European giants such as the Real Madrids, Barcelonas, AC Milans competing for the title, THE CHAMPION OF CHAMPIONS, it is the most difficult trophy to win.

I have seen United winning the League titles (Of course, winning the league is not easy). However, that Trophy, yes, that UCL trophy is what I wanted desperately. I want to see united lift that live. And, I wanted to live for that day.

Eventually, the D-day arrived. The night of 21st of May 2008, the day I was waiting for 8 agonizing years. I was just trying to pass time as the tension is really getting on me. I want this to be over soon. Win or loss, delight or despair, I wanted that to happen soon. I chatted with some friends, online, to pass time. I was reading the build-up on bbc.com. Then, finally tuned into ten sports for the game of my life.

The ten sports facilitator and the guests were, as usual, smiling and were cracking jokes on the Russian hats and the English supporters who made themselves look like clowns with those cheap all Russian fur hats. The boring anthems, the ceremonies were underway. After the break, it's the Kick off.

I prepared myself for a defeat, as I always do, but with a ray of hope. United kicked it off. It was all united. Owen Hargo was very industrious as he usually is. Scholesy, Carrick and the others were also playing well. Ronaldo was exceptional, especially with his trickery, bemused Essien and his partnership with Evra was quite impressive.

Then the moment. An immaculate cross from Wes Brown. And Mr.United , who else, the 42 goal scoring machine, the sorcerer, rose and created an artistic header, stunning the Chelsea fans. I was excited as Ronaldo ran to celebrate.

Then, the period of play was all United with two great chances squandered. I rued on those missed chances. Because I know how important the second goal is. That would have sealed the game off. Can United do a Barcelona on Chelsea? Do they have that mettle to see this fixture off with just one goal? No is the answer. I always know that luck plays a vital role in matches like these especially in Champions league, that is why it is the most difficult trophy to win, though you are a good team. Unlucky United concede a goal. Frank it was for Chelsea. Scored off a horrendous deflection and the goal keeper slipping just at right the moment. It was all square at the Luzhniki Stadium.

Half-time was over in a flash. Second half was underway and Chelsea looked more confident and they started to get the better off united. This really scared me. Drogba and Frank hit the post and the bar respectively. The pendulum started to swing, those nervous 80s are getting closer. Rooney taken off, he hadn't had a great game though. One goal either way is enough. Ferdinand's injury was a bit of a scare. Thankfully, it was a cramp. It ended 1-1 at the end of the regulation time.

It was football of the highest order. Two teams never wanting to give up, weaving tactical patterns and canceling each other out.

Now, the extra time. I felt that United must play well. They somehow should find their feet. I relaxed down on the bed and watched the game after a drink (Rasna it was :-)). It was going down the wire. I just cannot think of penalties. I didn't want to. Because, If we lose at penalties that would be a heart break. I wanted United to finish off the game in the extra time. However, It didn't. The show went on and on. It was chances galore at both the ends. Giggs effort was fended off audaciously by Terry, what a chance. What a chance!! Thats the end of it. No change in the scoreline. A moment of madness, when Drogba slapped in the face of Vidic. Direct RED. Roman was certainly disappointed. Chelsea down to 10 men. But, there was too little time for United to capitalize on it.

YES, the two inseparable sides must be separated. And how? PENALTIES. GOD SAVE ME FROM THIS PRESSURE.

Tevez to take the first one. He came up with a curvy run up and slotted the ball home. Then Ballack scored. I knew someone would miss. I also had a feeling that it will be one from United. Ronaldo stepped up. That boy, the best in the world. When the world was watching. What he did? His tame shot was saved.The unexpected (slightly expected) happened. Now at this moment I gave up. I have really given it up and was thinking how long should I wait again for United to come this far.

However, United and chelsea slotted the remaining penalties. I haven't watched two of them as it was sheer pressure. I just couldn't watch them. Then it was the Blues Captain, Terry, to win it for Chelsea. One strike and they are Champions. I just wanted to see the ball netted and then switch my TV off as I couldn't see Chelsea celebrating and United players in despair. It was raining heavily in Moscow. Terry steps up. He slips and hits the outside of the post and he buries himself in shame. Incredible. Unbelievable. What drama at the mid night in Moscow. I stood up off my chair, totally confused with shock or joy or pressure or disbelief. I didn't know what that feeling is. It was all square again.

I couldn't watch United penalties. I didn't see Anderson and Giggs' penalties. I watched Animal planet instead of ten sports at get rid off those nerve rattling moments. Now, it was down to Chelsea. Anelka, with a short run-up. I was sensing something here. Van der Sar showing some gestures. SAVED!!! UNBELIEVABLE. I raised my arms in disbelief with my eyes watering, looking that the United players' celebrations.This is the moment I waited for. One of the best in my life. The best United moment. The release of pressure. I was not elated, I was only relieved. My nerves eased down a bit.

You cannot ask for a better script. This is the script written by god. This is the magic of sport. Where do all these moronic movies, tv shows and the junk stand before these historic classics. This is reality. And this is life.

United celebrate. Chelsea in distress. Ballack, Lampard and the rest, all those great men, crying like kids. And my dear Terry was inconsolable. This is what the greatness of the trophy is all about. They only come once in a life time. Lives dedicated entirely for these moments. And if they miss, it is a heart break..

'THE MOMENT' NOW. UNITED LIFTS THE TROPHY. The scene that was a treat to my eyes. I waited 8 years for this very moment. WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE. THE GREATEST FOOTBALL CLUB EVER. AND WE ARE MANCHESTER UNITED.

If you ask me what is passion, I would say this is passion. I watched these breadth taking moments with delight as each united player lifted and kissed the trophy. I thanked god and extended my cheers to the architect, the face of UNITED, Sir Alex, and then, I opened orkut to greet my friends on the UNITED community and read some of their reactions. Finally went to bed at 4 am with heart filled with joy, relieved off pressure and , more importantly, SATISFIED.

No comments: